Sunday, July 22, 2012

Gifts of Summer

Things I am thankful for since my last post...

There's more but, two major things: The opportunity to enjoy all aspects of summer and the opportunity to teach!

I have been so lucky to enjoy all kinds of summery activities!  I had a great time on the 4th of July, making gumbo with Sean for some boys and then watching the fireworks in Phoenixville.  Impressive for a little town!
The annual Esser Independence Day shindig was spectacular, as always.  Thank you Esser family for hosting over a hundred guests at the farm and thank you Sam for taking care of the pig roast.  The thunderstorm that rolled through actually helped take some of the humidity away and left us with a wonderful evening or dancing, games and fireworks.



PADA YO has been pretty successful so far, most of the clinics happening outside.  I am thankful that  most of the kids enjoy learning the skills and rules of ultimate.  I am most excited for the work we will be doing at the homeless shelter, where many of the kids had never seen a disc before.
I had a great time exploring Hagerstown and spending time in downtown Frederick with Kyle.  I loved seeing this little kid dance like crazy to a live band on the sidewalk.  Also I had the best guacamole I have ever had!



We have had some insane heatwaves so far this summer, but it hasn't stopped me!  Thank you Bradley for taking us rock climbing for real.  Tubing down the Potomac with Hype friends was one of my favorite parts of the summer...a perfect way to celebrate the season: relaxing with cold drinks on the water with friends!
I probably lost a gallon of water in sweat while walking through NYC, but I am thankful I got to spend time with my long lost Floridian red-headed friend, Annalee, Kelsey and my new friend Lee.  I am thankful that we potentially saw three celebrities...ok we are 85% sure we saw Paul Giamatti.

The best gift of summer:  A JOB!!!!!

I am incredibly thankful that I will be FINALLY doing what I have always wanted to do and getting paid for it!  I will be teaching fourth grade students from Frederick, MD.  I cried.  A lot.  Happy crying, though!  The school is outside of the city, so it will be a bit different than what I am used to, but exciting!  I will be spending the rest of the summer continuing to teach ultimate, but getting ready for my first year of real elementary teaching.  I'm a big girl now!!!!!  I am also thankful that Michelle and Nickole both just got teaching jobs too, so we can celebrate our triumphs together, discuss things we can do better, and change the world, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment