For this book: Small Miracles; Extraordinary Coincidences from Everyday Life. It is a collection of real stories of "random conjoining of inexplicable events that defy our sense of reasonable." I believe that these coincidences that I read about are more than just simple accidents. How could two children separated by the barbed wire fence of a concentration camp in Germany possibly find each other thirty years later on a blind date? Amazing.
"These are whispers that can awaken us from our stupor and remind us that the hand of God is always there."
"When you have a strong desire to perform an act of kindness, the universe assists in mysterious ways."
For my students teaching me about things. I love seeing the kiddos get excited about new things that I teach to them, of course, but it is an even more amazing feeling when they cannot wait to teach me something that they know. One of my boys (who is very much a struggling learner) is an expert on alligators. I watched his confidence shoot through the roof when he taught the class about the scaly dangerous animal.
For my students being hilarious. It is awesome that they understand my sarcasm as well!
"Miss Wilson, are butterflies made of butter."
"Umm, no."
"Are they made of butt?"
"Yes, yes they are."
When I taught them that putting zeros after the decimal place does not change the value of the number, I continued to see work like this. Some students wrote zeros across the back of a homework sheet.
Me: "Fourth graders, if you have not finished your classwork, it is now your homework."
WC: "OMG Becky!"
When we are grading spelling tests together, I ask my students to celebrate their accomplishments silently. These silent celebration dances have become quite extreme: pencils played as trumpets, arms doing the "sprinkler." I did not even mind the silent "disco" dance moves out of their seats. However, now they are required to stay in their seats because one particular boy could not stop himself from hip thrusting behind his chair.
I need to do a better job of taking notes of funny things that happen throughout the day. These kiddos are so funny!
For American Hyperbole. I love how we fnished the season with smiles on our faces. I am thankful for having team mates who pick each other up when they are down. We may not be the best team in the region, but we are the best looking team and we have waaaay more fun than others. I am so thankful that upon moving to Maryland I was able to join a group of amazing people and make great friends.
I am also thankful for our ridiculousness. The end of the season party was an Olympic success. We had a wonderful time being way too competitive playing backyard and indoor games...in costume. The 10-hour event was a super way to conclude our season of hard work.
![]() |
| Thankful for Jay being my awesome partner for the event |
![]() |
| I love spikeball!!! |
For amazing roommates! I'm grateful for having a comfortable place to go home to and sweet friends to complain to about my day. It's great to be able to talk to Rachel about school, when she completely understands the life of a first year teacher. It is great to discuss creative ideas for social life and school life with Quinne. It is pretty awesome to have "family dinners" once in a while. Our mid-week BBQ and spikeball was a blast!
![]() |
| Our school pictures on the fridge |
For sistaaaaas. I'm am thankful for my sisters coming to visit me all the way in Frederick. We had the best guacamole and enjoyed some time together. I love that we can talk about anything (even with Scott at the table). We are stuck together for life. It's not too shabby ;) Thanks for bringing me housewarming gifts!
For music. Acoustic Sundays on 104.5 when I am home near Philly, DC 101 when I have to listen to the radio in Frederick, FrankSinatra and MGMT radio on Pandora, and the Army Field Band. I am thankfu to have been able to listen to one of the best bands in the world, for free! They played some great patriotic songs and a whole set of Stevie Wonder. I neeeeeed music when I am lesson planning too. Thank you Pandora!
For Jon :)





No comments:
Post a Comment